+44 0207 193 2327 (UK)
+61 03 9015 7918 (Australia)
+852 8191 5561 (Hong Kong)
Skilled Migration (Permanent Residence)
Outlined below is general information about the process of applying to migrate or for permanent residence under the skilled migration stream:
Skilled Independent - 189 Visa
1. Nominate an occupation - listed on the Skills Occupation List, which is relevant to your education and employment background. Each occupation must have an ANZSCO Code, such as:
2. MLTSSL List - To be eligible for the 189 visa, the selected occupations must be listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
3. Skills Assessment - Suitable skills assessment in that occupation confirming that their qualifications and recent work experience have
been recognised by the Australian authority. Skills assessments authorities assess applicants educational qualifications and work experience and if their skills are recognised, they determine that the
applicant is 'suitable for migration'.
There are a wide range of Skills Assessment Authorities that cover different occupations. For example, Accountants and Auditors would be assesed by either:
4. Expression of Interest (EOI) - apply for an Expression of Interest on the SkillSelect online service, which includes information about your Age, Qualifications, Skills Assessment, Work experience and a points score is calculated. No actual evidence is required, at this stage. The EOI is valid for 2 years.
5. Invitation - If you are invited to apply for skilled migration, you will receive an Invitation from SkillSelect. You will have 60 days to make your visa application.
6. Online Visa Application - Apply online by completing Forms, and providing evidence to support the claims made in your Expression of Interest. Usually, you will upload certified copies of Identity documents (passport, Birth certificates etc), and any other relevant information.
7. Health examination - Undergo a medical examination, Chest x ray and blood tests with an Australian Panel Doctor, in your city and country.
8. Character requirements - Apply for Police Clearance certificates in every country you and your spouse have lived in for 12 months or more, in the last 10 years.
Points Test - Factors:
Meet all the visa eligibility requirements for the Skilled Independent visa, as stated above.
To be eligible for the 190 visa, the selected occupations must be listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
Nomination by an Australian state or territory government agency, and your occupation must be listed on the State/Territory government Skills Occcupation List.
Comply with residential conditions that are specified by the relevant state or territory government in the nomination.
1. This is a temporary visa, but is a stepping stone to applying for permanent residence, with a skilled visa.
2. Engineering Graduates - This visa allows recent engineering graduates of eligible universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in their occupation.
3. Age - Must be younger than 31 years of age.
4. Engineering Qualification - Completed one of the following eligible engineering qualifications, in the past 2 years:
5. Major Sequence of Study - The qualification must contain a major sequence of study or specialisation in Engineering, including: Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering etc) from a recognised institution.
6. English language Ability - IELTS Score of at least 6.0, but you are exempt from sitting the English test if you are a citizen and holding a passport of the UK, Canada, NZ or the US.
1. Exceptional and outstanding achievement - Demonstrate that you have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in:
2. Prominent - You are still prominent and recognised in your area of expertise.
3. Asset to Australia - You would be considered an asset to the Australian community.
4. Employment - Provide evidence showing that there will be no difficulty in obtaining employment or in becoming established independently in Australia.
5. Nomination - Obtain Nomination from an eligible Australian nominee, who has a national reputation in your field of expertise.
6. Health and Character - Comply with the mandatory health and character requirements.