Student Visa Australia

Australian Visa and Immigration Advice STUDENT VISA - SUBCLASS 500 - AUSTRALIA

Table of Contents

Help with Student Visa

VisaConnect's Migration Agents can assist and advise with your Student Course Enrolment application to study at a Secondary School, College, TAFE or University and we assist with the Student visa submission. Our experienced and ethical, Australian Immigration Lawyers and Registered Migration Agents can assist clients in our offices in Brisbane, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, London, UK and Lisbon, Portugal. In addition, our Australian qualified Lawyers can advise clients worldwide, with a fast and efficient Consultation by telephone or Zoom Video call, where they advise you about:

  • Assessment regarding Student visa, Subclass 500
  • Australian Student visa process
  • Assistance with Student course enrolment at an Australian Educational Institution
  • Accepting a Letter of Offer and obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Advice regarding payment of the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) fee
  • Advice regarding supporting documents including: Qualification certificates, CV, Work references and Identification
  • Advice regarding Financial requirement, and evidence of funds
  • Assistance with Genuine Temporary Entrant Statement
  • English language test application assistance
  • Character Police certificates
  • Medical examination and Chest x ray referral letter
  • Visa Processing time guidance
  • Dept of Home Affairs Application fee and Migration Agent / Lawyers fees for complete assistance

In 2024, contact VisaConnect's Migration Agents and Lawyers for advice and assistance with your Student visa, Subclass 500 application!

Student Enrolment Assistance

  • VisaConnect's Advisers are qualified Education Agents (Counsellors), who can assist you with your study options in Australia. We help you to select a course based on your preferences for location, such as Sydney or Brisbane, Type of course e.g. Engineering at Bachelors level, English language ability, Educational background and Financial capacity.
  • We assist you with the Student course enrolment application forms and find you accommodation in student housing, homestay or private apartments.
  • For more information and assistance with your Student course enrolment, read about our Education Agent service: Education Agent Assistance

Contact VisaConnect's Consultants at our Brisbane, Queensland, Australia office below:

Subclass 500 - Student Visa

The Student visa allows students to travel to Australia and study full time at recognised Educational Institutions, in Australia, and work part time.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

Personal Statement regarding GTE - Applicant's must provide a personal statement in English addressing the GTE requirement. If you are not comfortable writing it in English, you can write your statement in your own language and submit a translated copy with your application. You can provide further details of the written statement in the application form or attach a separate document with supporting documents.

The Personal Statement should provide evidence or information about the following:

  • Previous Study
  • Gap in Previous Study
  • Current Employment
  • Ties to Home Country or Country of Residence
  • Economic situation in home country or country of residence
  • Employment in a third country

The Australian Educational Institution and the Department of Home Affairs must be satisfied that the student is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). Factors considered to determine if the student is a GTE are:

1. Circumstances in home country (or country of residence) - Reasons why the student has decided not to study in their home country if a similar course is available there. Details of ties to their home country that indicate an intention to return at the end of their studies, economic circumstances, military service commitments, and political and civil unrest in home country

2. Potential circumstances in Australia - Ties and links to Australia which would indicate a strong incentive to stay in Australia after completion of the course, knowledge of proposed course of study and education provider, previous study and qualifications, planned accommodation and financial capacity.

3. Value of the course to the applicant's future - Question is whether the course is consistent with the applicant's current level of education, relevance to past or proposed future employment in home country or elsewhere, and expected remuneration in home country or elsewhere, which could be gained from undertaking the course of study, in Australia

4. The applicant's immigration history - History of previous visa applications to Australia and other countries including visa refusals and cancellations.

5. If the applicant is a minor - Intentions of the parents, legal guardian or spouse of the applicant.

Student Visa Eligibility

As well as providing evidence that the applicant is a Genuine Temporary Entrant, the applicant must also meet the eligibility criteria below:

The Personal Statement should provide evidence or information about the following:

  • Enrolment - You must be enrolled in a recognised course and include your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the Australian Educational Institution, for each intended course.
  • English Language ability - You must provide evidence of English language ability, such as an IELTS test results.
  • English Exemption - No evidence of English ability is needed if they have enrolled in a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) or have completed at least five years study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland, or is a citizen of UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Ireland, or have completed a Secondary School certificate or Certificate IV in Australia.
  • Financial requirements - the student applicant needs to show evidence that they have enough funds available to pay for their course fees, travel and living costs and support any accompanying family.
  • Health and Character - You must meet health and character requirements and maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Insurance.

Student Visa Conditions

Mandatory Conditions - These conditions are attached to all student visas. For example, you must not work, you must have a satisfactory academic result, attend contact hours and maintain health insurance.

Discretionary Conditions - These conditions may be attached to a student visa depending on the circumstances. For example, if you are granted permission to work - then the condition will state, 'you must not work more than 20 hours a week during your course session'.

Students who work more than 40 hours per fortnight in certain Sectors must:

  • maintain their course enrolment
  • ensure satisfactory course attendance, and
  • ensure satisfactory course progress

Student visa, Subclass 500 holders who cancel their enrolment and stop attending classes, or fail to meet satisfactory course progress, may be in breach of their visa conditions. Visa holders who are working or have an offer of employment in one of the sectors above, and have finished their course, may be eligible for a COVID-19 Pandemic, Subclass 408 visa.

Allowances for Student Visa Holders

The Student Visa is a temporary visa, which allows for study up to 5 years. Once an Applicant has an Approved Student visa, they can do the following:

  • Join an eligible course of study in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia, with multiple entry
  • Work up to 40 hours every 2-week period, once your course starts
  • Work additional hours in certain sectors, including work for: Aged care Approved Provider, National Disability Insurance Scheme, Working in a health care related course and you are supporting the health effort against COVID-19, Agriculture sector, Tourism and hospitality sector, Working in a supermarket, or associated distribution facility, located in an area impacted by COVID-19 lockdown restrictions. Note that these additional hours are temporary measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will be reviewed by the Government.

Student Guardian 590 Visa

The Student Guardian visa allows a guardian, such as a parent of an international student, to stay in Australia while the student is studying a course in Australia.

  • Student Guardian means a relative of the Applicant who is traveling to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder under 18 years.
  • Student Guardian must be over 21 years of age and of good character.
  • Student Guardian must meet health and financial requirements.
  • Student Guardian accompanies a student under 18 years of age.
  • Guardian must live with the student and the Guardian cannot work.
  • Guardian must meet the financial requirement, and provide evidence of funds to support yourself, and the student.

Temporary Graduate - 485 Visa

The Temporary Graduate visa is intended for recent graduates from an Australian educational institution. The visa has 2 streams - Graduate Work and Post-study work.

Graduate Work stream

1. Nominate an Occupation - nominate a skilled occupation from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

2. Skills Assessment - you have applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation, and your skills have been assessed as 'suitable'.

3. Australian Study requirement - you have met the Australian study requirement in the past 6 months. This visa is granted for 18 months.

4. Australian Qualification - your degree, diploma or trade qualification is closely related to your nominated occupation.

5. Visa Duration - visa is valid for 18 months from date it is granted.

Post-Study Work stream

This stream is for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. The visa can be granted for up to 4 years.

Hong Kong Residents and BNO Passport Holders

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

How long can I stay in Australia, on a Student visa? 

Up to 5 years, but it depends on your course enrolment. 

What is the Government fee for a Student visa?

As at June 2024, it's $710 AUD.

What is the processing time for the Student visa, Subclass 500?

As at June 2024, the processing time for the 500 Visa for an application to study in the 'Higher Education sector' is from 41 days to 3 months, until a decision is made.

Do I need any Insurance for my stay in Australia?

Yes, you will need to get Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) insurance.

How many hours a week can I work?

You can work up to 48 hours a fortnight, when your course of study or training is in session. Also, you can work full-time during semester/term holidays.

Once I have applied to study a course, how will I know if I am accepted?

The Educational Institution will send you a 'Letter of Offer'.

How do I accept a Letter of Offer to study a course?

You will need to pay part of your fees, pay for OSHC and accept the Letter of Offer.

After I accept the Letter of Offer, what will I receive?

You will get a Conformation of ENrolment (COE) document from the AUstralian School, College or University. This means that you have been accepted into the course and you can now proceed with applying for the Student visa.

How do I prove that I am a Genuine student?

In the Student Visa, Subclass 500 application form, you will need to prove that you are a 'Genuine Student'. This means that you will need to prove that you meet the following requirements:

  • Give details of the applicant’s current circumstances. This includes ties to family, community, employment and economic circumstances.
  • Explain why the applicant wishes to study this course in Australia with this particular education provider. This must also explain their understanding of the requirements of the intended course and studying and living in Australia.
  • Explain how completing the course will be of benefit to the applicant.
  • Give details of any other relevant information the applicant would like to include.

Office Address and Telephone - VisaConnect Australia

Contact VisaConnect's Consultants at our Brisbane, Queensland, Australia office below:

VisaConnect - Qld, Australia
Level 1, 16 McDougall Street,
Milton, Brisbane,
Queensland 4064

Telephone: (+61) 7 3040 9589