GREECE RESIDENCE PERMIT - GREECE GOLDEN VISA
Table of Contents
Background and Guide - Greece Permanent Residence Permit Programme
Greece is a country full of culture, myth and legend and a nation who is proud
of its rich heritage and traditions. Famed for the beauty of its landscape, Greece
is unique, for it seems the Greek gods themselves have scattered little pieces of
paradise into the sea which we so lovingly know as the Greek Islands.
Whatever your interests or the lifestyle you choose to adopt, you can be sure of a
warm welcome from the people of Greece. A healthy climate, good food and wine, a
new Greek home, a new and exciting lifestyle, a dream finally realized.
Acquire your holiday home in peaceful Paros, cosmopolitan Santorini or glorious
Crete and combine holidays with tailor-made Investment.
Now in 2023, it is possible to apply for High Net Worth Immigration to Greece, and
obtain a Greece Permanent Residence Permit (Greece Golden Visa), which allows the
applicant and his family to live, work, and study anywhere in the beautiful islands
of Greece through a simple and fast property investment! Contact our Greece Immigration Consultants and Greek Lawyers
by telephone or visit us in our offices in Brisbane, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, London, UK and Lisbon, Portugal.
Why Invest in Greece Property, in 2023?
- Greece Passport - 8th Ranked Passport in 2023 - The Henley Global Passport Ranking Index in 2023 Q1 ranked Greece as the 3rd highest ranked passport in the world, with access to 185
- Safe Country - Greece is one of the safest countries in the
Mediterranean region (top of EU list).
- Geographic Location - Strategic link to the emerging markets of the
Balkans, Black Sea, Eastern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean regions.
- EU Member Country - Greece is a Member of the European Union, since
1981, which allows for free movement of people, goods, services, and capital
within the internal market. In addition, Greece has access to the Schengen zone,
in Europe. Greece is also a Member of the European Monetary Union, which are
likely to continue providing strategic oversight, assistance and access to
- Beauty - Unparalleled beauty and diversity in landscape &
- Climate - Healthy Mediterranean climate with 320 sunny days a
- Beaches and Islands - 428 blue flagged beaches & 16,000 km
of coastline. Unique 'island hopping', 6,000 islands & isles.
- Healthy Diet - World's healthiest diet & exquisite local cuisine
- Friendly People - Friendly and hospitable people, relaxed
- English Speaking - English is widely spoken in Greece. English is the
first foreign language Greek students learn from an early age. Official data
released by the Eurobarometer Special Surveys shows that, when it comes to people
being able to speak English, Greece reaches 51 percent.
- Rich History & Culture - Innumerable tourist sites of interest.
Vivid modern life (culture and social).
- Infrastructure - Advanced infrastructure & expertise in
professional services. Greece has a developed infrastructure that enables the
uninterrupted implementation of most investment activities. Within the framework
of holding the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, and the investment in the following
years several changes and improvements in a variety of areas, including the
infrastructure of Greece were materialised.
- Healthcare - Healthcare in Greece consists of a universal health care
system provided through national health insurance, and private health care.
According to Finance Minister Christos Staikouras, Greece’s total health spending will bump up to 11.7 billion euros in 2022. The amount, which involves all government ministries, equals 6.3 percent of Greece’s GDP, and thus
puts the country close to the European Union average of 7 percent. Meanwhile, Staikouras stated that the government will hire an additional 6,000 health workers in 2022, an estimated 29 percent of total hirings.
- Free Education - The provision of free education to all citizens and
at all levels of the state education system is a constitutional principle of the
Greek State. Education is compulsory from the ages of 6 to 15.
- Increasing Tourist Numbers - 2022 - Greece Visitor Arrivals recorded 2,205,210 person in May 2022, compared with 1,056,001 person in the previous month. Greece Visitor Arrivals data is updated monthly,
available from Jan 2005 to May 2022. The data reached an all-time high of 6,761,996 person in Aug 2019 and a record low of 37,566 person in Apr 2020.
- Transport Connections - Excellent international flight connections by
Air to Europe, Africa and Asia, transport between the Greek Islands by ferry, and
Intercity bus connections. One of the strongest shipping sectors in the
- Foreign Investment - Greece marked an impressive increase of 74.3 percent in foreign direct investment (FDI) in 2021, according to the Hellenic Investment and Foreign Trade Company, also known as Enterprise Greece. Enterprise Greece recently
released data issued by the Bank of Greece showing that net inflows of foreign direct investment exceeded 5 billion euros ($5,055.9 million).
- Low Cost of Living - Life in Greece is unusually affordable for
Europe. With a relatively low budget, you can live a good life - even in the
capital of Athens. Rental prices are low for a European country.
- Gross Domestic Product - Gross Domestic Product of Greece grew 2.3% in the first quarter of 2022 compared to the previous quarter. This rate is 15 -tenths of one percent higher than the figure of 0.8% published in the fourth quarter of 2021. The year-on-year change in GDP was
7%, 11 -tenths of one percent less than the 8.1% recorded in the forth quarter of 2021.
Real Estate Investment Eligibility - Greece Residence Permit
To be eligible for the Greece Permanent Residence
Permit (Greece Golden Visa Programme), the applicant must:
- Purchase a Property in Greece valued at €250,000 EUR or more.
- Residence available to non-EU citizens and their family members (spouse,
children up to the age of 21 years, and the ascendants of the spouse).
- The purchase of the property must be by an individual or legal entity.
Investment Options to Obtain Greece Residence
Greece Golden Visa
applicants must make one of the following investments:
1. Minimum €250,000 euros investment in Greece Real Estate
- Greece has decided to postpone the decision to increase the minimum amount of investment needed for the Golden Visa from 1 May until 1 July 2023. The postponement has been decided for Golden Visa in some parts of the country for three months implying that billionaires interested in visa will still be eligible to invest €250,000 instead of €500,000 until July 1.
2. New Law from 1 July 2023 for Investment in Greece Real Estate for the following Regions of Greece:
- Regional Units of North, Central and South Athens
- The Municipality of Varis, Voulas, Vouliagmeni of the Region of Attica
- The Municipality of Thessaloniki of the Region of Central Macedonia
- The Regional Units of Mykonos and Santorini of the Region of South Aegean
The minimum value of the real estate at the time of its acquisition, and the total contractual rent of the leases of hotel accommodation or tourist residences of the
present, is set at five hundred thousand (€500,000 Euros)
and must be paid in full before the submission of the request for the granting of the investors permanent residence permit.
In the case of investment through the purchase of real estate in the
areas referred to above, it shall be made in a single property. In the case of investment through the purchase of an undivided co-ownership interest in real estate, the minimum value of the co-ownership interest shall
be set at five hundred thousand (€500,000 Euros) and the investment shall be made in a single property.
3. €400,000 Euros investment in a Real Estate investment company
investing exclusively in Greece or buy shares through a share-capital increase
4. €400,000 Euros investment in a Capital Equity Company
or an equity
mutual fund investing exclusively in companies based in Greece;
5. €400,000 Euros investment in Greek State Bonds
with a maturity of at
least three years through a credit institution based in Greece;
6. €400,000 Euros investment in a Time Deposit
at a domestic credit
institution with a duration of at least 12 months;
7. Minimum of €800,000 Euros investment in Shares, Corporate Bonds or State Bonds
8. €400,000 Euros investment in a Mutual Fund
, investing exclusively
in Shares, Corporate Bonds or State Bonds;
9. €400,000 Euros investment in buying shares in an Alternative
set-up in Greece or in another EU member-state that
invests exclusively in real estate assets in Greece.
Benefits of Greece Permanent Residence Permit
Outlined below are the benefits of
obtaining the Greece Residence Permit. Also, see VisaConnect's PDF document:
Residence by Investment, in 2023:
- Family Residency - Spouse and Children up to 21 years old: - Residence Permits are issued for the investor’s spouse and all their
children up to 21 years old, provided that they are still unmarried. As spouses are considered opposite-sex
married couples and both opposite-sex and same-sex couples who have entered into a civil union in Greece.
- Family Residency - Parents / Parents-in-Law: - The investor’s parents and parents-in-law may also be granted a Residence Permit,
without any further requirements.
- Family Residency - Children over 21 years old: - A Golden Visa can also be granted to children over the age of 21, provided that the
value of the acquired real estate attributed to each child is at least €250.000.
- Flexibility - No minimum stay requirement. Just need to visit Greece
once every 5 years, for 1 day.
- EU Schengen Visa Travel - Travel directly to all 26 Schengen Area
- Excellent Investment - Exceptional investment opportunity due to
all-time low property prices, in 2022.
- Permanent Residence for Life - Provided that the Property continues to
be in the possession of the Applicant.
- Fast Processing Time - From the day that you receive the Title Deed,
you will be granted permanent residence within 30 to 60 days.
- No Savings Requirements - No minimum savings bank account
- Renewal of Residence Permit - Residence permit renewable every five years,
as long as the Applicant holder maintains a property.
- Transfer of Residence Permit - The investor may sell the property and
transfer it to another non-EU National, who in turn will also be eligible for
- Free Education - Access to free public schools for primary and
- Greece Citizenship - Live as a resident in Greece on the resident
permit for 7 consecutive years (180 days in each year), and then apply for Greece
Citizenship and a Greece EU Passport.
Legal Assistance to obtain Greece Residence Permit
Outlined below are the legal
services that our Greece Lawyers can assist with:
Property selection and price negotiation.
Land Registry search.
Real estate Due diligence process.
Draft any PoA, promissory sale and sale agreement.
Ensure anonymity and Confidentiality via NDA's.
Official translation of all documents required.
Issuance of Greek TIN (Tax Identification Number).
Opening of a Bank account on behalf of client.
Drafting of Contracts (Agreements).
Registration of title deed at the Land Registry and the Cadastral
Management of the property, after the purchase, including rental
Residency Permit application, with supporting documents.
Schengen Visa to Visit Greece for Chinese and Indian Citizens
Citizens of China and India who are planning to enter Greece must apply for a Schengen visa. Citizens of China and India need a visa to travel to Greece as tourists. The Schengen visa is a mandatory document to enter
Greece as it is a member of the European Union and part of the Schengen area. The Uniform Schnegen visa allows the visitor to stay up to 90 days, from date of entry, within a 180-day period.
The following documents are required for the Greece Schengen visa:
1. Schengen Visa Application Form
- Form must be fully completed and signed.
- Valid passport
3. Return trip Reservation
- Round trip reservation or itinerary. It must include dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the Schengen area.
4. Travel Insurance Policy
- A document that proves you have travel health insurance for the whole Schengen territory, with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros in case of any medical emergency as illnesses, accidents and even repatriation in case of death. The Insurance
policy can easily be purchased online from AXA Schengen or Europ Assistance.
5. Evidence of Accommodation
- A document that shows where you will be accommodated throughout your stay in Schengen. This can be one of the following: hotel/hostel booking, Rental agreement or Letter of invitation from a host at whose house you
will be staying.
6. Evidence of Financial Means
- Evidence that you have enough money to support yourself financially throughout your stay in the Schengen. This can be one of the following: Bank account Statements or
7. Employment or Business details
- Employees need to provide: Employment contract, Current bank statement of the latest 6 months, Leave permission from the employer and Income Tax Return (ITR). Self-Employed Applicants must provide a copy of business license,
bank statements and Income tax returns.
8. Child Applicant
- Provide a birth certificate of the child, Application form signed by both parents/guardians. If a child is traveling alone, provide a notarized parental authorization,
which is signed by both parents /guardians.
Supporting Documents for Greece Residence Permit
Outlined below are the supporting documents required for a Greece Residence Permit:
1. Original Passport
- Provide the original Passport the Client Applicant and each member of the family who is applying for Residence
Permit, and a true copy of the Passport.
2. Health and Medical Insurance
- Client Applicant must provide Health Insurance, with cover for hospitalization and medical care from an Insurance company for each member of the family applying for the Residence Permit. The Applicant
must select a Greek Insurance company according to their requirements. The fees for the Health insurance depends on the Age of the members of the family.
3. Marriage and Birth and Family certificates
- Applicant must provide Family certificates that prove the relationship between the members of the family applying for the Residence Permit. All the family certificates must include the
birth dates of the people involved and not only the ID cards. This family certificate must be stamped in the Greek Embassy, which certifies that this is an exact and true copy of the genuine documents. Then, the client sends it to his Lawyer in Greece and the
Lawyer translates it to Greek officially, with assistance from an official translator in Greece.
Greek Residence Permit Renewals to move online in Greece as at 16 November 2021
Residence permits for all non-EU nationals will be renewed only electronically as of 16 November 2021,
the Migration & Asylum Ministry announced.
The Ministry said this includes all residence permits regardless of duration and relates to almost 700,000 individuals, including 250,000 who have
permits that expire on 31 December 2021.
An individual who wants to renew their permit will confirm their identity by phone and email, and be in contact with Greek authorities online. Lawyers will be able to file applications on behalf of their clients through the Plenary of Greek Bar Associations
platform, which interfaces with the "Metanastefsi" information system.
Following their processing, one-stop Ministry offices and other administrative services will send an electronic invitation to the applicant for an appointment to collect biometric data.
See our website page below,
for information about Greece Investment properties, and our Greece Real Estate
service for High Net Worth Individuals who wish to buy a property in Greece for
investment purposes or to qualify for the Greece Residence Permit.
Useful Links - Greece Residence by Investment
Number of Greece Residence Permits Granted to Top 10 Countries - 2021
Total Number of Greece Residence Permits Granted to Real Estate Investors from 2014 - 2021