GLOBAL TALENT VISA - UK
UK Immigration Lawyers - Global Talent Visa Advice
Our UK Immigration Lawyers are experienced, ethical, and members of the Law Society of England and Wales. They can assist clients in our offices in Melbourne or Brisbane, Australia and in Hong Kong.
In addition, our United Kingdom qualified Lawyers can advise clients worldwide, with a fast and efficient Consultation by telephone or skype where they advise you about:
- Visa eligibility
- Information about the visa process
- Assistance in applying for an Global Talent Endorsement through an approved Endorsing Body
- Advice regarding supporting documents including: Qualification certificates, Work references, Research and Awards
- Advice if your occupation is in a 'Qualifying Field'
- Assistance in completion of UK Global Talent Visa Application forms
- Advice regarding an application for Criminal Record Certificates
- Assistance in booking an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo)
- Visa Processing time guidance
- Information about the UK Government fee, Healthcare surcharge and Lawyers fees for complete visa application assistance
Contact VisaConnect's UK Immigration Lawyers in 2021 for advice and assistance with your Global Talent Visa for UK Settlement (Permanent Residence)!
Global Talent Visa - Eligibility
The new Global Talent visa system started on 20 February 2020 and is managed by the UK Research and Innovation Agency (UKRI), which funds government research. It is a fast-track visa, with no cap on the number of suitably qualified persons that can apply, and no minimum salary requirements.
To apply for the UK Global Talent visa, you must work in a qualifying field, and meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. Endorsed as a recognised leader (exceptional talent) or
2. Endorsed as an emerging leader (exceptional promise) or
3. Under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option.
Global Talent Visa - Benefits
The Global Talent visa offers the following benefits to visa applicants:
- Work in the UK Flexibly - No requirement for employer sponsorship and other conditions.
- Change Roles and Employer - Applicants can change roles and employing organizations without permisssion from the Home Office.
- Self-Employment and Company Set Up - Applicants can enter self employment and set up a spin-out company.
- Consultancy Services - Earn additional income from Consultancy or other sources, which may not relate to the field of research, in which the applicant was endorsed.
- Visa Duration - Applicants can select the length of the visa initially up to 5 years, with the option to renew the visa, multiple times.
- Fast-track to Settlement - Fast-track to Settlement after 3 yearsfor the main visa holder.
- Undertake Research Overseas - Applicants can undertake research overseas without it counting towards the maximum time period permitted for absences, in terms of a settlement application.
Who are the Endorsing Bodies for a Global Talent Visa?
At stage 1, one of the Endorsing Bodies will advise the Home Office whether you meet its eligibility criteria and have reached the appropriate level to be endorsed under the Global Talent visa. The Endorsing Bodies are:
- Arts Council England - designated as an endorsing body by the Home Office to assess applications for endorsement from people who work in the fields of arts and culture. 'Arts and culture' includes the following areas: Combined Arts
Dance, Literature, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts - including those working in an artistic context in galleries and museums.
- The British Academy – for humanities and social science applications;
- The Royal Society - for natural sciences and medical science research applications;
- The Royal Academy of Engineering - for engineering applications; and
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) - for research applicants
- British Fashion Council - for fashion applicants
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) - for architecture applications
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT) - for film and television applicants
- Tech Nation - for digital technology specialists
Researchers Applying for a Global Talent Visa
There are four routes for eligible Academics and Researchers to obtain a Global Talent Visa Endorsement:
1. Academic and research appointments – fast-track endorsement for applicants who have accepted a position at an approved UK higher education institution or research institute with responsibility either for academic, research or innovation leadership and development, or for directing or leading an individual or team in a research or innovation project or programme of work.
This route is administered by the British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society.
2. Individual fellowships – fast-track endorsement for applicants who have been awarded an individual fellowship on the list approved by the British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society. The fellowship must be currently held or from the last 12 months.
3. Endorsed funders – fast-track endorsement for researchers and specialists whose name or job title is specified in a successful grant application from an endorsed funder approved by UKRI. To be eligible, researchers must be hosted or employed by an eligible institution approved by UKRI.
International academics and researchers wishing to work on COVID-19 related research grants can apply for a Global Talent visa through the endorsed funder route under relaxed criteria until 31 July 2021.
4. Peer review – standard endorsement for applicants who submit an application for full peer review by the British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering or Royal Society.
How do you get an Endorsement?
The Global talent visa involves a 2-stage application process:
1. Endorsement - Stage 1 - The endorsing body that you select will send its endorsement decision to the Home Office.
2. Apply for Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain - Stage 2. Applicants must meet the following conditions: Register with the Police,
Not permitted access to Public Funds, Cannot be employed as a Professional Sportsperson, and can only Study pursuant to a number of restrictions.
The visa decision is usually made within 8 weeks of applying. Note that you can get a faster decision if you:
- You have been accepted onto a recognised UK accelerator programme, as a digital technology specialist
- You will be hosted or employed in an approved UK research organisation. In addition, you will provide critical contributions to work supported by a research grant or award from an approved endorsed funder
- You hold an approved peer-reviewed fellowship
- You are a senior academic or senior researcher at a UK university, college or research institute
Validity Requirements for an Endorsement
To be valid, an application for Endorsement must meet the following requirements:
- The application must have been made on the correct form, and applicants applying for endorsement by Tech Nation must have also submitted the additional digital technology form to Tech Nation
- The endorsement application fee must have been paid
- The application must be for endorsement, by an endorsing body, in the field relevant to the applicant
Document Checklist for Tech Nation Application
The following documents must be provided to Tech Nation:
- Tech Nation visa Application form - including a Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation - from three well established Organizations
- 10 Pieces of Evidence regarding the relevant Eligibility Criteria
Costs And Processing Times
As at 17 March 2021, the fee for a Global Talent visa is £152 (or £97 for those from an EU country).
Each dependant family member must pay an additional £608. Additionally, there is a healthcare immigration surcharge of £624 per person per year and an endorsement fee of £456.
Applications are usually processed within three weeks if submitted from outside the UK or eight weeks if submitted in the UK.
When can you apply for Settlement in the UK?
- apply to settle after 3 years, with an exceptional talent visa or exceptional talent endorsement in science or with a UKRI endorsement
- apply to settle after 5 years, with an exceptional promise endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology