GLOBAL TALENT VISA - UK
Table of Contents
UK Immigration Lawyers - Global Talent Visa Advice
Our UK Immigration Lawyers are experienced, ethical, and members of the Law
Society of England and Wales. They can assist clients in our offices in Brisbane, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, London, UK and
Lisbon, Portugal. In addition, our United Kingdom qualified
Lawyers can advise clients worldwide, with a fast and efficient Consultation by
telephone or skype where they advise you about:
- Visa eligibility
- Information about the visa process
- Assistance in applying for an Global Talent Endorsement through an approved
- Advice regarding supporting documents including: Qualification certificates,
Work references, Research and Awards
- Advice if your occupation is in a 'Qualifying Field'
- Assistance in completion of UK Global Talent Visa Application forms
- Advice regarding an application for Criminal Record Certificates
- Assistance in booking an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application
Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your
fingerprints and a photo)
- Visa Processing time guidance
- Information about the UK Government fee, Healthcare surcharge and Lawyers
fees for complete visa application assistance
In 2022, Contact VisaConnect's UK Immigration Lawyers for advice
and assistance with your Global Talent Visa for UK Settlement (Permanent
Eligibility - Global Talent Visa
The new Global Talent visa system started on 20 February
and is managed by the UK Research and Innovation Agency (UKRI), which
funds government research. It is a fast-track visa, with no cap on the number of
suitably qualified persons that can apply, and no minimum salary
To apply for the UK Global Talent visa, you must work in a qualifying field, and
meet the following eligibility criteria:
Endorsed as a recognised leader (exceptional talent) or
Endorsed as an emerging leader (exceptional promise) or
Under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option.
Benefits - Global Talent Visa
The Global Talent visa offers the following benefits to visa
- Work in the UK Flexibly - No requirement for employer sponsorship and
- Change Roles and Employer - Applicants can change roles and employing
organizations without permisssion from the Home Office.
- Self-Employment and Company Set Up - Applicants can enter self
employment and set up a spin-out company.
- Consultancy Services - Earn additional income from Consultancy or
other sources, which may not relate to the field of research, in which the
applicant was endorsed.
- Visa Duration - Applicants can select the length of the visa initially
up to 5 years, with the option to renew the visa, multiple times.
- Fast-track to Settlement - Fast-track to Settlement after 3 yearsfor
the main visa holder.
- Undertake Research Overseas - Applicants can undertake research
overseas without it counting towards the maximum time period permitted for
absences, in terms of a settlement application.
Endorsing Bodies for a Global Talent Visa
At stage 1, one of the Endorsing Bodies will advise the Home Office
whether you meet its eligibility criteria and have reached the appropriate level to
be endorsed under the Global Talent visa. The Endorsing Bodies are:
- Arts Council England - designated as an endorsing body by the Home
Office to assess applications for endorsement from people who work in the fields
of arts and culture. 'Arts and culture' includes the following areas: Combined
Arts Dance, Literature, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts - including those working
in an artistic context in galleries and museums.
- The British Academy - for humanities and social
- The Royal Society - for natural sciences and medical science research
- The Royal Academy of Engineering - for engineering applications;
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) - for research applicants
- British Fashion Council - for fashion applicants
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) - for architecture
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT) - for film and
- Tech Nation - for digital technology specialists
Researchers Applying for a Global Talent Visa
There are four routes for eligible Academics and Researchers to
obtain a Global Talent Visa Endorsement:
1. Academic and research appointments
endorsement for applicants who have accepted a position at an approved UK higher
education institution or research institute with responsibility either for
academic, research or innovation leadership and development, or for directing or
leading an individual or team in a research or innovation project or programme of
work. This route is administered by the British Academy, Royal Academy of
Engineering and the Royal Society.
2. Individual fellowships
- fast-track endorsement for
applicants who have been awarded an individual fellowship on the list approved by
the British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society. The
fellowship must be currently held or from the last 12 months.
3. Endorsed funders
- fast-track endorsement for
researchers and specialists whose name or job title is specified in a successful
grant application from an endorsed funder approved by UKRI. To be eligible,
researchers must be hosted or employed by an eligible institution approved by
International academics and researchers wishing to work on
COVID-19 related research grants
can apply for a Global Talent visa through
the endorsed funder route under relaxed criteria until 31 July 2021.
4. Peer review
- standard endorsement for applicants who
submit an application for full peer review by the British Academy, Royal Academy of
Engineering or Royal Society.
Application Process - Global Talent Visa
The Global talent visa involves a 2-stage application
- Stage 1 - The endorsing body that you
select will send its endorsement decision to the Home Office.
2. Apply for Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain
- Stage 2.
Applicants must meet the following conditions: Register with the Police, Not
permitted access to Public Funds, Cannot be employed as a Professional
Sportsperson, and can only Study pursuant to a number of restrictions.
3. Government Fees
- To apply for the Global talent Visa UK, it costs Â£608. If Applicants are applying based on an endorsement, they will pay the Â£608 in two parts:
Â£456 when applying for the endorsement and Â£152 when applying for the visa itself. The cost to include a Partner or Dependent children is Â£608 each.
4. Healthcare Surcharge
- Applicants will have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application - this is usually Â£624 per year for each person applying.
5. Visa Processing Time
- The visa decision is usually 3 weeks if you are outside the UK and 8 weeks if you are inside the UK. Note
that you can get a faster decision if:
- You have been accepted onto a recognised UK accelerator programme, as a
digital technology specialist
- You will be hosted or employed in an approved UK research organisation. In
addition, you will provide critical contributions to work supported by a research
grant or award from an approved endorsed funder
- You hold an approved peer-reviewed fellowship
- You are a senior academic or senior researcher at a UK university, college or
Validity Requirements for an Endorsement
To be valid, an application for
Endorsement must meet the following requirements:
- The application must have been made on the correct form, and applicants
applying for endorsement by Tech Nation must have also submitted the additional
digital technology form to Tech Nation
- The endorsement application fee must have been paid
- The application must be for endorsement, by an endorsing body, in the field
relevant to the applicant
Tech Nation - Eligibility Criteria for an Endorsement
From the 1st December 2020, there will be a single mandatory criterion which was previously one of the Qualifying Criteria,
regarding an applicant being a Leader or Potential Leader in the digital technology sector. The applicant will also be required to meet two of four optional criteria.
An applicant evidencing Exceptional Talent must:
Show that they have been recognised as a leading talent in the digital technology sector; and
Provide evidence of 2 of the following:
- (i) A proven track record for innovation as a founder or senior executive of a product-led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept; or
- (ii) Proof of recognition for work beyond the applicantâ€™s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field; or
- (iii) They have made significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder, senior executive or employee of a product-led digital technology company; or
- (iv) they have demonstrated exceptional ability in the field by academic contributions, through research published or endorsed by an expert.
An applicant evidencing Exceptional Promise must:
Show they have been recognised as having the potential to be a leading talent in the digital technology field; and
Provide evidence of 2 of the following:
- (i) at least 2 examples of innovation as a founder of a product led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept; or
- (ii) proof of recognition for work beyond the applicantâ€™s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field; or
- (iii) they have made significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company; or
- (iv) at least 2 examples of exceptional ability in the field by academic contributions, or through research endorsed by an expert.
Document Checklist for Tech Nation Application
The following documents must
be provided to Tech Nation:
- Tech Nation visa Application form - including a Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation - from three well established
- 10 Pieces of Evidence regarding the relevant Eligibility Criteria
Technical Skills for Tech Nation Endorsement
Technical applicants must demonstrate proven technical
expertise with the latest technologies in building, using, deploying or exploiting a technology stack and building technical infrastructure.
See examples of Technical skills below:
- DevOps / SysOps engineers
- Principal software engineers/developers
- Experienced data scientists/data engineers
- Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language
- Processing and Machine Learning experts (AI, NLP, ML)
- Cybersecurity experts
- Hardware engineers
- Experienced front-end developers
- Operating systems engineers
- Experienced video game developers
- Experienced UX/UI designers
- Experienced Mobile App developers
- Experienced back end developers leading development of, or contributing heavily to major new technologies or open-source projects (e.g. blockchain, Scala, Golang, Elasticsearch etc)
- CTO or VP engineering experience managing teams of in-house employees at a growing digital business
- Virtual and augmented reality developers
Costs And Processing Times
As at 17 March 2021, the fee for a Global Talent visa is Â£152
(or Â£97 for those from an EU country).
Each dependant family member must pay an additional Â£608. Additionally, there is a healthcare immigration surcharge of
Â£624 per person per year and an endorsement fee of Â£456.
Applications are usually processed within three weeks if submitted from outside the
UK or eight weeks if submitted in the UK.
Settlement in the UK
- apply to settle after 3 years, with an exceptional talent visa or exceptional
talent endorsement in science or with a UKRI endorsement
- apply to settle after 5 years, with an exceptional promise endorsement in
either arts and culture or digital technology
Office Address and Telephone - VisaConnect UK
Contact VisaConnect's Consultants at our London, UK office below:
VisaConnect Immigration Consultants UK
152 City Road
(+44) 207 193 2327