Canadian Passport

Temporary Visa Categories

Visitor's Visa - The Visitor visa is available to persons holding a valid passport, you are in good health, satisfy an immigration officer that:

Note that citizens of certain countries are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Visitor visa eg. United Kingdom and France citizens.

Work Permit - Your employer helps determine if you are eligible and you need a job offer from your employer. Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). To work in Canada, you may need a temporary resident visa. A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, student, or worker).

Study Permit - Depending on your citizenship or where you live, you may need a temporary resident visa as well as a study permit. If you apply to study in Quebec, you need a certificate of acceptance or CAQ. To be eligible to study in Canada, you must:

In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada, if you wish to study in a short-term course or program, you are Foreign representatives to Canada or Members of foreign armed forces.

Immigration - Visa Categories

Skilled Workers and Professionals - Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been demonstrated to assist them become economically established in Canada. According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:

If your application is eligible for processing, you must also meet the following minimum requirements to qualify as a skilled worker:

If you meet these minimum requirements, as stated above, your application will then be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid. The six selection factors are:

  1. your education
  2. your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages,
  3. your work experience,
  4. your age,
  5. whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  6. your adaptability.

Quebec-selected skilled workers - Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements and selects immigrants who will adapt well to living in Quebec, under the Under the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration. To be eligible to go to Quebec as a skilled worker, you must first follow a separate selection process before your application is finalised by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This visa category is a two stage process:

1. you must apply to the Quebec government for a certificate of selection (Certificat de sélection du Québec). This is the official document that shows that the Government of Quebec has accepted you to that province.

2. after you have been selected by Quebec, you have to make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence.

Canadian Experience Class - If you are a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. You are familiar with Canadian society and can contribute to the Canadian economy. You should have knowledge of English or French and qualifying work experience. You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

1. plan to live outside the province of Quebec

2. Be either, a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

3. have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization

4. apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada.

Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-employed persons - The Business Immigration Program seeks to attract experienced business people to Canada who will support the development of a strong and prosperous Canadian economy. Business immigrants are expected to make a C$400,000 investment or to own and manage businesses in Canada. Canada has three classes of business immigrants: Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-employed persons.

Provincial nominees - Persons who immigrate to Canada under the Provincial Nominee Program have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They are ready to establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada. To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory. Most provinces in Canada have an agreement with the Government of Canada that allows them to nominate immigrants who wish to settle in that province. The province will consider your application based on its immigration needs and your genuine intention to settle there.

Family Sponsorship - If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a permanent resident. CIC refers to the immigrants who are eligible to use this family sponsoring process as the Family Class. A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor her or his spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents. An application for Family Class sponsorship can be made if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children live inside or outside Canada. The first step is to apply as a sponsor.

Registered Migration Agents Member of Canadian Bar Association OISC MIA Qualified Education Agent Counsellors Member of the European Association of Quality Agencies